Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Book of love

The kind of people you surround yourself with can have a profound impact on your life. They open up your mind to new perspectives and a whole new world. I have had this revelation lately. For years, I have consumed the same kind of content, thrillers (psychological thrillers esp!). I wouldn't touch the classics or the noir because I had decided they were really complex and I wouldn't understand them (For eg, I hadn't attempted George Orwell until recently). I haven't read absurdism or magical realism either because, "come on, that's not real! World doesn't work like that"! (I belong to the minority that hasn't read or watched the Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings series).


It all changed the day I met Vishu. Now, I am not gonna gush over him because hello? this is a pop culture blog! But I am gonna go ahead and say that a magical new world of books is waiting for me!


 From the list of books Vishu bought for me, I started with Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbø. Although the genres are world apart, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to Anxious People by another Nordic author, Fredrick Backman. They have the same way of opening the story, with some amount of philosophy thrown in and navigate the narrative very similarly. (Coincidentally, both are translated to English by Neil Smith). 



It's a charming story of Olav, a "fixer" (a hitman) and his very movie-like romance with his boss' wife, Corina, who by the way, his boss wants killed. It's an easy read and keeps you entertained till the last page. It reminded me so much of The Sopranos that I have now started watching James Gandolfini in all his glory!


Bindu, my soul sister (not!) is another well read person I know. She introduced me to Gabriel García Márquez's Strange Pilgrims. I had kept away from this author because Pint had told me the content generally is sexist and voyeuristic. Well, she is not wrong. I don't personally think that the stories have aged well. I did like the writing and enjoyed the book in parts. All the stories are connected by the theme of travelling to a foreign land. Some are enjoyable, some are heartbreaking. All in all, a pretty decent read. 


My next book is an uphill climb, Joy in the Morning by P G Wodehouse. Since I have loyally read the Gone Girl genre, switching to anything else seems daunting. But mon chavelier swears its a fun ride and that he gets his charming sense of humor from these books, so I am going to give it a try! 

Meanwhile, lets talk shows. American Crime Story is back! The Monica Lewinsky (the wonderful, Monica Lewinsky) produced third season brings on screen, the Clinton- Lewinsky scandal. I thought it was interesting to watch Monica's side of things on the affair that brought a president down. 

Although I love Ryan Murphy shows, I am not enjoying this one as much. Season 1 on OJ Simpson's acquittal threw it out of the park with a gripping script and a strong star-cast. The one on Gianni Versace's murder paled in comparison and now this season is even duller! 



The story itself is of course, engrossing given that its based on the most scandalous affair the world has witnessed but I blame it on the cinematography, the piles of makeup, and the boringly slow narrative. Also, I am not ok with Sarah Paulson in a fat suit playing Linda Tripp. That was so unnecessary! I get it, Sarah is an amazing actor but there are other plus sized talented actors that could have played this character equally well. Its time we moved away from fat suits, black faces, straight actors playing gay characters, et al. The world is filled with plenty of talented people in all shapes, colors, sexual orientations and personal choices. Lets get them in! 

They have tried to make it all very convincing with their fantastic line of actors, Beanie Feldstein, Clive Owen, Annaleigh Ashford, Edie Falco, etc. These actors have literally put themselves in their characters' shoes and gotten the mannerisms just right! (Chef's kiss). They all do look like the people they are playing but the gross over use of prosthetics take away some amount of realness. 


There have been only 2 episodes so far, so you never know, it might just pick up. Let's wait and watch. 

So, there. Thats all the pop culture for this week. What shows have you been watching? Do you have any book recommendations? Drop me a comment! :)




No comments: