Thursday, January 8, 2015

December and Feminist Books


    It's been a long time since I read books, so I started again last month. Within December, I managed to read 3 books- Wuthering Heights, The Carrie Diaries and Summer & the City. All 3 feminist novels. I like understanding the concept of feminism more and more as I grow older. These books from 2 worlds apart are as similar to each other as they are different! All standing on the same ground, with dissimilar situations have become cult reading for young girls and adults alike. Here s a look into my thoughts on each of the books [Spoilers ahead].

Wuthering Heights


[artwork by me: do not use without permission :) ]

    Wuthering Heights was one of the stories I always wanted to read because I liked Jane Eyre too much! I thought the Bronte sisters were exceptional. However, Emily Bronte's book failed to charm me as I found it extremely depressing and sad. I hated Heathcliff as much as I liked Jane Austen's dashingly rugged Mr Darcy! I found this story more about revenge than about love.

    I was disappointed and my heart refused to cling on to it further when Catherine Earshaw dies suddenly! I mean, what's the point to go on when one of the protagonists stops to exist! With a heavy heart, I went ahead and finished it however. Unlike the charming Mr Darcy, Heathcliff is all about darkness! He, not only, ruins his own life, he finds himself shattering lives of other people including Catherine and everyone that is remotely related to her! 

    This story completely drained me and it took a long time for me to forget all the cruelty filled in the last few pages. So, I chose to read a no-brainer next, something like a book by the Kardashians. Incidentally, SATC part II was on TV that day and I thought of giving Candace Bushnell a try. 

The Carrie Diaries and Summer and the City

[artwork by me, do not use without permission :) ]

    When I bought the books, I thought I was definitely going to hate them. I took a chance though. Surprisingly, these books are a breath of fresh air! I enjoyed them more than I thought. May be it was because I had read a sad and tiring book before them or may be not! The Carrie Diaries, the first book in the series, is more a coming of age story of a small town girl's foray into New York and a new life. This girl, Carrie is unabashedly fearless. Even though it looks like she has no idea what she is doing with her life, you know she is completely aware of her goals, She knows in her heart what she wants and battles minor troubles to finally become a writer.

    These books are so cheery and fun with traces of karma notion lurking here and there. Definitely recommended to read - I am sure it would appeal to anyone from a teen to an adult. They explore concepts of friendship and love. You end up wishing you had someone as gutsy as Samanth and Miranda around you all the time. Lucky Carrie!

    Here's me saying ciao, more books to read. Like all of the world, I am on a resolution of reading more books this summer! 

No comments: